Friday, November 5, 2010

Sweet Emotion

DAY 5: (Joe) Our last day in Fiji. Bula and Moce: Welcome and Goodbye. We’ve just had two very busy days and in a few hours, at 5:30 AM, we’re leaving Fiji for Papua New Guinea. We’ve had nothing but wonderful musical experiences in this beautiful country and I think this is the most welcoming place I’ve ever visited in my life.In Fiji, they have a tradition of welcoming guests with a log drum call.When we changed hotels this morning to spend our last day here, we got a sample of this ritual.After we were greeted by the drum call, Danny took a crack at the log drum.A few days ago when we met with the Conservatorium students, they sang the traditional "Farewell" song to us because it was our last session with them.
At the end of the song, I had tears in my eyes. I turned to Brian and he had tears in his eyes. A moment later I realized Danny had the same experience with this song. I met a New Zealander at our concert/jam session this evening and he related his story of first hearing the Fijian Farewell song. He had the same experience we did. None of us understand the Fijian language, yet this song touched us all in the same way. Well, farewell Fiji.I, for one, will miss this land of singers and guitarists…

No comments:

Post a Comment