Thursday, November 4, 2010

Amazing Grace

DAY 4: (Danny) Last night we arrived at the Fiji Civic Center to find out that power in the building and most of the town had gone out because of a lightning strike on the power station. I walked into the darkened hall and down the aisles with the help of the crew's flashlights. I soon realized that the seats were full of people, waiting patiently in the dark. I could barely find the way to my drums but after a few minutes, Shana helped me find my way back to the lobby area, to meet with the rest of the band.

The embassy would give it 30 more minutes for the power to come back on or else they would send everyone home. Johnny suggested that if the concert was to be canceled, we could just borrow an acoustic guitar, get Brian's bass, I would grab my brushes and we could do a small acoustic set in the lobby. I went off to sit in the corner and warm up, when I heard some singing? I thought maybe the power had come back on but the lights were still out? I walked back into the hall and heard the most amazing thing: there was a choir from the local conservatory singing some spiritual songs and entertaining the audience as they sat in the dark. I saw Johnny and of course he was already recording them and basking in their grace. It was one of the most moving experiences, to sit in the dark and feel the light of their joyful sound. Very soon after they finished their last song, the power came back on and we were able to see the beautiful faces of the choir. It's as if they sang the light and power back into the room as well as our hearts. We got on stage and played the first half of the show. The choir came up at intermission and did a 20-minute set for the crowd, loved (again) by everyone. We played the second half of our third show that night and we all agreed that this entire day was one of the greatest experiences we’d ever had!I was signing autographs until my hand was exhausted. Earlier, after the second show, we had been signing autographs for the high school kids and one young girl asked me to sign the back of her uniform with a magic marker, I said, “Your mom’s going to get mad” and she just laughed and said, “It's worth it!” We met so many beautiful people and I am amazed at the heart, talent and soul of this country. We got back to the hotel and Liza, a great local singer who tours Southeast Asia and teaches at the conservatory, introduced us to the U.S. Ambassador to Fiji. We sat with him while he told us stories and suggested places to see.

Photo below: Johnny Rodgers Band with U.S. Ambassador for Fiji, Steven McGann, (4th from left) and Ambassador for Japan, Yutaka Yoshizawa (far right), with other Embassy officials.Liza told us about her Papua New Guinea years and what it was like to perform and live there. She comes from one of the 300 islands that make up Fiji. When she was a little girl, she would watch the sunset and think I’m bigger than this little island. There must be a greater world beyond. She wanted to be a star and sing around the world. We all agreed that when you’re in love with music, you just know it. It's like someone hitting you with a bat – the same with the love of another person. You just know and it hits you like a ton of bricks. I’ve been in love with music since I was five-years-old and it has taught me how to love others. It’s an amazing grace!

1 comment:

  1. Danny, what a heartwarming post to liven up our dreary day here at home in New York. It's become the new ritual of the Kates to catch up on your blogs at lunchtime. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete